no xorg.conf, where to now?

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Tue Jul 24 02:24:40 PDT 2007

On Mon, Jul 23, 2007 at 02:07:12PM -0400, Jeff wrote:
> Then I was wondering, now that the beloved xorg.conf that we all came to
> know and love/hate is gone, where do we actually make configuration
> tweaks? For example, right now, I am guessing that I am running the "nv"
> driver. How would one go to tell X to use nvidia-glx, or Nouveau,
> instead?

Hi,
In the future, the plan is to be able to have the parser handle partial
config files, so you can put one or a few statements into an xorg.conf,
and have it use the defaults for everything else.

> Likewise, how can one tweak the settings of pointing devices such as a
> Wacom tablet?

This should go into a client.  Since they're hotpluggable, you have a
client which remembers the settings for your particular tablet, and sets
them whenever you plug it in.

Cheers,
Daniel