Xlib: Maximum number of clients reached

Dennis Bjorklund db at zigo.dhs.org
Sun Jul 22 23:18:06 PDT 2007

Hi

I run a fedora 7 system and every once in a while I can't open new
windows anymore. It fail with the error

   Xlib: Maximum number of clients reached

If I kill one program and its window is closed I can open a new program
with a new window (but just one new program). I guess some application
is leaking connections in some way but I don't know how to find out
exactly who it is.

I want to know if there is something I can do to debug this. I would
also like to increase the limit (in case I can't solve the real problem).

I ran the program xlsclients and it only show 20 clients, these:

gnome-session
gnome-settings-daemon
gnome-panel
gnome-volume-manager
nautilus
metacity
nm-applet
sealert
led_applet
multiload-applet-2
pam-panel-icon
notification-area-applet
wnck-applet
mixer_applet2
clock-applet
xchat
thunderbird-bin
firefox-bin
notification-daemon
gnome-terminal

Then I ran this (2874 is the pid of Xorg)

$ lsof -p 2874|grep /tmp/.X11-unix/X0|wc -l
245

the last row is

Xorg    2874 root  255u  unix 0xf1096380             394921
/tmp/.X11-unix/X0

So it look like it has used up 255 unix socket connections to
/tmp/.X11-unix/X0. But I don't yet know how to figure out what client
these originally came from (I guess firefox since it has been the bad
guy before and killing it has made it possible to open a bunch of new
windows).

Any suggestions of what to do the next time I get into this state?

/Dennis