adding randr 1.2 support to a video driver

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Sun Jul 22 23:12:51 PDT 2007

On Sun, 2007-07-22 at 19:05 -0400, Alex Deucher wrote:

> You can do a vbe based randr implementation.  You'd just have to hook
> in the vbe calls in the right places in the randr modesetting and
> detect code.  There are no problems using vbe in the running server.
> several drivers do it already.  Generally direct register banging is
> preferred as it gives you better control and doesn't require real mode
> bios calls.

And, in fact, most of the kdrive servers do just that; vbe while the
server is running to re-detect available modes. I still strongly
encourage people to figure out how to write native modesetting logic as
that generally offers far more functionality, plus will be possible to
port into a kernel-mode driver.

keith.packard at intel.com