adding randr 1.2 support to a video driver

Mathieu Lacage Mathieu.Lacage at sophia.inria.fr
Sat Jul 21 15:57:24 PDT 2007

hi,

So, I did my homework and read through a bunch of video specifications
and driver code to figure out how things are done. I see, for example,
that the intel video driver now does not use VBE anymore to configure
the cards's video mode and accesses directly the VGA or DVI LVDS busses
to fetch the EDID information from the connected monitor/panel. Is it
required to do something similar to implement randr support ? i.e.,
could I just use VBE directly to get the EDID information for randr
support ? I fear that VBE is not going to work once the server is
started: am I right ?

Mathieu