intel 2.0 driver >2048x2048 without DRI

Chase Douglas chasedouglas at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 15:04:25 PDT 2007

m h wrote:
> I'm using it on my R52 (1400x1050) laptop.  I can do dual screen with
> by 24 inch (1920x1200) montior as well as cloning.  xrandr makes
> controlling the output from the command line quite easy.

When I start X, it defaults to cloning mode at 1600x1200 since that's
the native resolution of my attached monitor. Then if I try to issue
"xrandr --output VGA --left-of LVDS --auto", it tells me:

xrandr: screen cannot be larger than 1600x1600 (desired size 3000x1200)

If I were to start X without the monitor connected, it would start at
1400x1050, and if I try to extend to my second monitor it says the
screen cannot be larger than 1400x1400.

Where am I going wrong?