MIT copyrights in X.org source base...

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Tue Jul 17 07:23:07 PDT 2007

On Fri, Oct 27, 2006 at 03:24:15PM -0700, Eric Anholt wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-10-26 at 18:21 -0700, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
> > I ran this draft by our lawyers, who had some comments.   Funnily enough,
> > they suggested that to avoid further license proliferation, we should just
> > use the MIT license instead of developing yet another variant - specifically
> > they pointed to the version at:
> > 	http://opensource.org/licenses/mit-license.php
> >
> > which they noted solves the "tree-killing" problem as well, without inventing
> > new language, by simply not having a clause at all that requires credit in
> > the documentation.   (They didn't really like adding "electronic" to the
> > existing clause.)
>
> Seconded.  I'm happy with the linked version for all my personal
> copyrights in the tree.  Looks like the version I've been slapping on
> for Intel just has "(including the next paragraph)" added after "this
> permission notice.  I'm checking with our lawyer for his stamp of
> approval.

It seems like we've got pretty good consensus on this one.  I've just
discovered that I'm not even self-consistent here, so I'm going to start
fixing up my copyrights (and Nokia's) to Eric's standard form:
 * Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a
 * copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"),
 * to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation
 * the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense,
 * and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the
 * Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:
 *
 * The above copyright notice and this permission notice (including the next
 * paragraph) shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the
 * Software.
 *
 * THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR
 * IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY,
 * FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT.  IN NO EVENT SHALL
 * THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER
 * LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING
 * FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER
 * DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.

(As taken from the Intel driver.)

Anyone else want to start doing the same?

Cheers,
Daniel