problems with pixman-git and KDM [was: Re: persisting problems with xserver-git and KDM]

Jens Stroebel dr-xorg at bcsoft.de
Fri Jul 13 08:44:48 PDT 2007

Re-sent, as it didn't appear for 45min on the list;
sorry if it's available twice now...

Jens Stroebel wrote:
> 			Hello.
>
> As mentioned previously, we have a problem here with the combination of:
>
> xserver-git+xorg-libs-git (which we package together as one "package")
> kde-3.5.7
> qt-3.3.8

While it was less work initially, it probably was "not such a good idea"
to package xserver and ALL libs together, so we changed that... and
found the problem to be in pixman, instead of in the xserver itself.

I closed the bug opened related to the behavior for xserver accordingly.

> I've got the advice to do a git-bisect, but unfortunately, as I don't do
> it in my own time, I've been told that it takes too much time away... so
> I can't do that right now.

As the scope of it changed dramatically with the realization that the
cause is not located in the xserver but in pixman, I was able to isolate
the observed KDM breakage to commit

 e1dd17451cbe2c7d36205fe2fc4cea0092ee4141
( Disable source clipping by default )

I would have opened a bug, but couldn't find pixman in the bug-tracker.
Where should I file this?

Side-note:
As the described behavior seems to be related to something which KDM
does differently than the KDE session as a whole (which works without
showing unusual behavior). Inquiry on the kde-linux mailing list didn't
give an answer about that, unfortunately.

		greets,
		   jens
dr-xorg at bcsoft.de
			23.....56.......drifting