Issues Regarding Fonts Preventing the run of X 7.2

Yuval Mintz mintzyuval at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 3 07:13:53 PDT 2007

Hey all,
I Compiled X 7.2 under qemu emulating a mipsel malta machine from source
code using the script given by the modular development guide. It is
important to state that the FS I use already had a running X 6.8.
I have several issuses with the fonts (The bigger is that it prevents my X
server from loading, but will reach it in due time) -
1. Type1 fonts - all type1 fonts packages fail. that is because running
mkfontscale on their installed directories causes segmentation fault. I've
seen several references to this problem, but none that solves my problem.
2. when I finally run startx, I get the following messages:
X Window System Version 7.2.0
Release Date: 21 December 2005
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 7.2
Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.10_mvl401-malta-mips2_fp_le mips
Current Operating System: Linux (none) 2.6.10_dev-malta-mips2_fp_le #425 Sat
Jun 23 15:02:37 IDT 2007 mips
Build Date: 03 July 2007  06:48:1183481330PM

        Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
Module Loader present
        (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(==) Log file: "/usr/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Sat Jan  1 02:38:35 2000
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
(EE) Failed to load module "glx" (module does not exist, 0)
dlopen: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/fonts//libtype1.so: undefined symbol:
Type1RegisterFontFileFunctions
(EE) Failed to load /usr/lib/xorg/modules/fonts//libtype1.so
(EE) Failed to load module "type1" (loader failed, 7)
mapping the frambuffer
fb_set_var - 2
(EE) FBDEV(0): FBIOBLANK: Invalid argument
Could not init font path element /usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc/, removing from
list!
Could not init font path element /usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/, removing from
list!
Could not init font path element /usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/, removing from
list!

Fatal server error:
could not open default font 'fixed'

- All of my font paths fail, and I recieve a Fatal server error - although
all those fonts did pass in the installation!

If anyone knows anything about those problems, I'll be grateful for any
lead.

Thanks,
Minyz Yuval