xf86-drivers-video-intel: How to use MergedFB sweetness on 965GM

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 22:33:02 PDT 2007

On 6/30/07, Keith Packard <keithp at keithp.com> wrote:
> It's CRTC order, actually. Not very useful, I know. There are limits as
> to which output can be connected to which crtc (on Intel, LVDS only runs
> on crtc 1), so that may make it impossible to get it the way you want.
> Of course, you can drag the panel around the screen...

Yep - that will do for now ;-)

What doesn't work very well with v2.0.0 of the Intel driver is
starting X with a VGA monitor that is smaller that the LVDS. If I then
open an xterm and say

     xrandr --output VGA --right-of LVDS --auto

what I get on the (larger) LVDS is that the usable part of the screen
is the size of the VGA monitor, lodged in the top-left. And when
windows hit the lower or rightmost "border" of that usable space they
get "projected" to the rest of the LVDS.

Ugly explanation - if I just had a screenshot it'd be easier. Whatever
reaches what X considers to be the rightmost usable pixed on the LVDS
gets stretched to the actual physical rightmost pixel. And same at the
bottom of the screen.

BTW, I've updated my kernel to 2.6.22-rc5 and the intelfb no longer
likes vga=791 - who looks after that? David Airlie's tree of intelfb
patches hasn't been updated in 8 months.

cheers

martin