Latest i810 driver

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Wed Jan 24 04:58:28 PST 2007

On Wed, 2007-01-24 at 00:45 +0100, Lukas Hejtmanek wrote:

> OK, I've tested randr-1.2 tool. Basically, can I set output to non-connected
> device? E.g., can I turn on clone without attached external LCD projector and
> just plug it and have the screen?

Yes, but.

When the driver fails to detect an active connection to a particular
output, it doesn't add any modes for that output, so you would have to
manually add a suitable mode. This doesn't prevent you from manually
adding a suitable mode and then enabling the output, but it does make it
a bit harder.

If you can just wait for the output to be connected, we'll get EDID data
and the server can automatically use the preferred monitor mode.

> Screen 0: minimum 320 x 240, current 1280 x 800, maximum 1280 x 800

> Why VGA does not contain 1280x1024 mode?

As you can see, the maximum screen size supported in your environment is
1280x800, which isn't large enough to support the 1280x1024 mode.
Because we can't currently resize the frame buffer (fixed someday soon,
I hope), we're stuck with whatever size was configured when the server
started up. Right now, we're probably making a poor choice for what size
to make this, fortunately you can override it in the config file with
the Virtual configuration command.

> This next command
> xrandr
> causes legacy randr aware applications to think LFP is only 1024x768 :(

Yeah, we have to pick a screen to report for legacy randr applications;
this could probably use some work to avoid breaking other programs, but
I'm not sure precisely what it should do.

keith.packard at intel.com