XDM, XSM and not getting the proper environment

Ryan Daly daly at ctc.com
Wed Jan 17 14:08:36 PST 2007

On 01/17/07 13:58, Glynn Clements wrote:
> You would do better asking that particular question on a Fedora list.

I'm not certain that Fedora is the cause of the problem.

> First, check how XDM is being started. Unless you're starting it
> manually, there will typically either be a dedicated entry in
> /etc/inittab, or an rc file in /etc/init.d (or /etc/rc.d etc) which
> starts a display manager. Any environment settings which are made
> prior to starting XDM will be inherited by XDM and may affect its
> operation.
>
> Then, examine the xdm-config file (e.g. /etc/X11/xdm/xdm-config). The
> scripts which are run by XDM are determined by the setup, startup,
> session and reset resources, e.g.:
>
> 	DisplayManager*startup:		/usr/lib/X11/xdm/Xstartup
> 	DisplayManager*session:		/usr/lib/X11/xdm/Xsession
> 	DisplayManager*reset:		/usr/lib/X11/xdm/Xreset
> 	! The following three resources set up display :0 as the console.
> 	DisplayManager._0.setup:	/usr/lib/X11/xdm/Xsetup_0
> 	DisplayManager._0.startup:	/usr/lib/X11/xdm/GiveConsole
> 	DisplayManager._0.reset:	/usr/lib/X11/xdm/TakeConsole
>
> The first three lines specify the default scripts, while the last
> three specify scripts which are used for the display ":0".
>
> The setup script is run as root before the login dialog is displayed.
> After login, the startup script is run as root then the session script
> is run as the user who logged in. When the session script terminates,
> the reset script is run as root, the server is reset, then the process
> repeats.
>
> Most of the details are normally in the session script. The scripts
> are invariably customised by the distribution vendor/maintainer, so if
> you want to know the specifics, you need to either ask in a forum
> which is specific to your distribution (i.e. a Fedora list) or read
> the scripts.

I did compare the scripts and there were some differences, but nothing
that would indicate it would cause a problem.

This message and any files transmitted within are intended
solely for the addressee or its representative and may
contain company sensitive information.  If you are
not the intended recipient, notify the sender immediately
and delete this message.  Publication, reproduction,
forwarding, or content disclosure is prohibited without the
consent of the original sender and may be unlawful.

Concurrent Technologies Corporation and its Affiliates.
www.ctc.com  1-800-282-4392