intel-modesetting/xrandr1.2: Failed to allocate framebuffer. Is your VideoRAM set too low?

Andreas Schildbach andreas at schildbach.de
Sat Jan 13 06:35:25 PST 2007

Hi everyone,

in the middle of December I managed to checkout, compile and run an
xserver/xf86-video-intel (plus dependencies) using xrandr1.2 (see my
post "i810/modesetting and Xinerama?").

Yesterday, I reinstalled Ubuntu Feisty (Herd 2) and tried the same
thing. This time, it does not work. I get the following X error messages:

$ cat Xorg.0.log | grep "(EE)"
(EE) I810(0): ref out of range
(EE) I810(0): [dri] I830CheckDRIAvailable failed: glx not loaded
(EE) I810(0): Failed to allocate framebuffer. Is your VideoRAM set too low?

Unfortunately, I did not write down every step of building back in
Dezember - so this could very well be caused by a difference in what I did.

I've attached the complete X log, my xorg.conf and a step-by-step
"script" that describes how to check out and build.

Here is the Screen section of my xorg.conf. The virtual size comes from
my two displays 1920 x 1200 (top) and 1280 x 768 (bottom).

Section "Screen"
        Identifier      "Default Screen"
        Device          "Intel Corporation Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML
Express Graphics Controller"
        Monitor         "Generic Monitor"
        DefaultDepth    24
        SubSection "Display"