Xorg 1.1.1 + Mesa 6.5.2 = White screens with i810 driver and beryl/compiz

Otto Solares solca at guug.org
Mon Jan 8 16:10:44 PST 2007

On Mon, Jan 08, 2007 at 11:24:16PM +0100, Roland Scheidegger wrote:
> Colin Guthrie wrote:
> > Otto Solares wrote:
> >> I had exactly the same problem many months ago when Debian Sid
> >> doesn't have a recent libdrm and mesa to run beryl in r200 hw with
> >> the open source driver.
> >>
> >> If I remember correctly the problem lies in differences between GLX
> >> code in the X server and in the client (libGL).
> >>
> >> You should rebuild libdrm, glproto, mesa, X server (correctly
> >> pointing the X server to the mesa source) taking in consideration
> >> the PKG_CONFIG_PATH when building and adding your libdrm and libGL
> >> path to /etc/ld.so.conf.
> >
> > I'm doing all my builds as RPMs so I know there is only ever one
> > version there at a time.
> >
> > I don't think my libdrm needs updating (2.3.0) and I'm pretty sure
> > that everything was built in the correct order.
> >
> > I'm using glproto 1.4.7 but have also tried 1.4.8 (heard it's buggy
> > tho'?)
> That would be news to me. However, since the protocol number of
> GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap changed between glproto 1.4.7 and 1.4.8 (as
> it was wrong before), I highly doubt this would work with an old glproto
> but a new xserver or new mesa (which changed the protocol number at the
> same time, 2006-09-14). Shouldn't affect the copy path, however, I guess.

Now that you mention this and if I remember correctly the cause
for the white cube in compiz/beryl was the protocol number change
for GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap.  I have never seen it again so I
don't know if it's the same problem but it is related IMO.

Colin: could you double check that you rebuild with the correct
glproto?  How are you building your Xorg components, with the
modular script or manually?  Hint: PKG_CONFIG_PATH could be
pointing to an old glproto or libdrm.

-otto