Intel GMA 900 (915G) - interlaced modes?

Will . nodenet at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 8 14:57:48 PST 2007

>I just want to move from old EPIA-M which has problems with TV field
>parity and can't do VGA->SCART RGB due to lack of interlaced modes.
>I'm thinking about buying something cheap like MSI Hetis with GMA900
>but it would have to do interlaced modes (I assume with 2x pixel
>clock, something like PAL 1440x576i with hardware scaling from
>720x576 YUV etc).

Hi, I have an EPIA (think its an SP1300) and an AOpen i915GMmHFS, I've been
trying to get high quality tv out for a while thought I'd share my
experiences. I've used the DVE PAL disc for setup, and an assortment of
movies as source material. I run them through the computer and usually again
through another DVD player for comparison both connected to the same plasma
screen. I avoid doing any testing on my computer LCD display as I've found
the results to be missleading (even using the same resolution and refresh
rates - the nature of the displays is different anyway).

>I know there are specialized TV (S-VIDEO) encoders but SCART RGB
>would be much better in terms of quality (tested with Radeon+RGB
>vs. EPIA with "noscale") and stability.

S-Video on the EPIA and from another PC with a radeon haven't given me great
results but I know the S-Video input on my tv isnt particularly good anyway.

I've been running on the VGA ouput at 720x576 @49.986.. (the closest I could
get to 50Hz without the TV encoder). Full frame straight into the VGA input
on the plasma. Results are generally very good, although it took alot of
tweaking and messing to get there. I encountered some problems sending video
at 50frames per second (using software de-interlacing) when I'm only
displaying circa 49.99, cpu useage spiked up to 100% and it would become
very difficult to get into the menus or quit Xine. This could of been due to
the hacked driver I was using, I think the back buffer would eventually be
in use for a whole frame requiring most cpu time to be spent in X waiting
for the buffer to become free, preventing other tasks from running properly
(and presumably X from doing other things too). I've compared the software
deinterlacers built into Xine both against each other and the deinterlacer
in the plasma using a variety of DVDs. I got a mixture of results, there
were very noticeable differences in performance when viewing Video /mixed
material  e.g. Star Trek TNG most of the deinterlacers introduced a lot of
artifacts that shouldnt of been there. IMHO vertical was closest to the
inbuilt deinterlacer on the plasma and didnt give me any strange flickering,
noise, stair steps, excessive ghosting etc, it seems to be a good
compromise.

I've never tried to bring up an interlaced mode on the aopen board although
I did consider running VGA->scart. Scart is still my prefered choice as it
integrates with the rest of my system properly, VGA out doesnt. I'm
currently using the chrontel tv out, I got some good advice here (xorg)
about how to trace the BIOS so I've started testing using the tv out
recently. I soldered up the Scart out from the chip (not advised) I believe
most chrontel chips have scart out but I dont think any mobo manufacturers
provide the pin headers or output sockets / cabling required. I've done the
basic tuning to be as close as possible to a regular DVD player again using
DVE PAL. Although results are good I think I'm getting some slight noise
from my wiring, I may have to get some better cable and try again. I get a
measured field rate of 50.001.. which with a margin for error probably means
it's as close to the PAL spec as possible (I think this may give the VGA out
a refresh rate of 50hz). Xine seems happy - no dropped frames and no CPU
burn with the standard video out loop. According to the blurb the tv out
uses 10 bit DACs, although I'm not sure either how this compares to the VGA
DACs or whether the full range is being utilised via XV (I havent noticed
any obvious banding during testing which is not already present elsewhere).

I've not had any luck with the field parity, I have to run with the software
deinterlacer to get interlaced video working smoothly. Presumably using the
software interlacer it's just luck if the output field lines up with the
computer generated lines or the original ones. Progressive video does seem
to work very nicely with the deinterlacer off, of course if everything was
progressive things would be much easier however thats not the case. IMHO
where the source is 50 fields per second or circa 60 fields per second
trying to generate a 25 frames per second or circa 30 frames per second
progressive output results in a lack of smoothness and sometimes a loss of
resolution too depending on how the deinterlacer works (commenting on the
difference of a typically transcoded video file vs realtime deinterlacing of
the source stream at full frame rate). I think there may be a fix for the
field parity on the EPIA although I'm not sure if it works under X or not,
and I think scart out from the TV chip on the EPIA requires a soldering iron
too. If you get the interlace modes working it would probably make the VGA
out a good way to go to get scart, althought I think you'll still need to
run with a software deinterlacer to get things working.