Xgl and redirecting events

Heinrich Janzing h.janzing at myrealbox.com
Sat Jan 6 10:46:01 PST 2007

On Friday 05 January 2007 00:16, you wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-01-04 at 13:25 +0100, Heinrich Janzing wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Due to my hardware (ATI) I am forced to use Xgl for development of my
> > OpenGL compositor in order to get hardware acceleration (otherwise I
> > would have opted for AIGLX).
> >
> > Like Looking Glass, my windows are not displayed in a strictly 2D manner
> > anymore. This means that like LG I will have to use event redirection. I
> > was going to use Xevie for this. Since Xgl doesn't support Xevie (yet?) I
> > figured I could connect to the underlying X server and use Xevie on that
> > to intercept events (assuming that it still handles the hardware events,
> > which seemed to be the case).
>
> Xevie should work fine with Xgl. I have been using it before so it
> shouldn't take a lot time to get it working again if it's for some
> reason currently broken.
>
> -David

Thanks for your reply. Are you saying that I should be able to use Xevie
connecting simply to the default display (Xgl)? This does not seem to be
working for me. Making Xevie requests generates an X error stating that Xevie
is not supported. xdpyinfo confirms this, as XEVIE is not in the extensions
list. When running xdpyinfo -display :0.0 (normal X server) XEVIE does appear
in the extensions list.

Am I simply running a too old version of Xgl? Or should that not be an
issue... My Xgl package version is "7.0.0.git.20060725-0ubuntu2.1". To build
the xorg sources from git I appearently need to upgrade to libdrm 2.3 which I
fear will mess things up (no packages yet).

Thanks,

Heinrich