minimal X how to ?

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Fri Jan 5 10:25:35 PST 2007

On 1/5/07, Puneet Goel <puneet.maillist at gmail.com> wrote:

> while checking lib directory of Xorg installation i am seeing that for any
> of the lib there is a .a , .la and .so files.  wondering do we need all of
> them ? only a static library or dynamic library should work.
>
> any comments ?

Only one set of libraries is really needed. I usually prefer the
shared libraries, so I build all the libraries with --disable-static.
The .la files are not strictly needed. They are generated by libtool.
AFAIK, there's no easy way to keep them from being installed besides
just rm'ing them from the directory after `make install'. But, they're
tiny text files, so they don't really use much space. And they contain
information useful to libtool when linking to that library.

--
Dan