set root/default visual ID

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at rasterman.com
Thu Jan 4 14:21:25 PST 2007

On Thu, 4 Jan 2007 13:05:20 -0800 (PST) Jacob Lambrecht <omegaxavier at yahoo.com>
babbled:

> I have an ATI Rage 128 Pro and I am trying to set the root visual ID to be
> double duffered (0x27). The default right now is 0x23. How can I force the
> root window to use 0x27?
>
> In the man page for xorg.conf I found the "Visual" option that I can put in
> the display section. However it seems to only support "TrueColor" or
> "DirectColor" and I am unable to specify an exact visual ID (I tried "0x27").
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

double buffered is unlikely to even do much for you beyond what you can do by
rendering first to a pixmap then copying to root when done. also you can just
overlay root with another window that's just below everything and the size of
the screen - no one need notice it's not root (if you are the wm this is
perfectly feasible as you can enforce that this window stay below etc. etc.) :)