i810 modesetting and external VGA, not working

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Thu Jan 4 10:05:31 PST 2007

On Thu, 2007-01-04 at 10:19 +0000, Ross Burton wrote:

> Amusingly the virtual framebuffer size is used when calculating the DPI

It shouldn't do that...

> I'm now left with the problem that either my monitor isn't sending EDID
> down VGA,

I have a 1280x1024 TFT monitor that doesn't report EDID over VGA either.
I haven't debugged this to see if our DDC code continues to fail for
some monitors; we have had quite a few problems with it though, so it
could still be broken.

> And now when I xrandr --auto with the TFT plugged in, X hangs. :/  I
> shall dig out another machine later to try and get logs/gdb of it
> crashing.

Yeah, that would be useful -- I haven't actually tried adding modelines
myself as I haven't needed to. Untested code remains broken code...

> Does this look reasonable?  How would I get xrandr to disable the LVDS,
> enable the CRTC, and switch to 1680x1050 in a single call?

xrandr --output VGA --auto --output LVDS --off

should do the trick.

keith.packard at intel.com