Display Corruption with ATI radeon 8500

Juho-Mikko Pellinen jpelline at lut.fi
Mon Jan 1 22:49:00 PST 2007

Hi! Caio

I used to have Radeon 8500LE which previous owner had overclocked and
"upgraded" the card with 8500-bios. When I bought the card, I restored
original clocks to gain stability and lessen heat production and things
were ok for about one year.
After that I began to get display-erros like your screenshot shows. In
console (text mode) I also began to get red blocks randomly around
screen and in 3D-games the textures got pink spots etc.

Display drivers didn't have any clue of what was happening, so that must
have been hardware-side (maybe memory or DAC) glitch.

My suggestion is to get a new cheap card to replace that broken one.

I got errors in both Windows and Linux at that time.

     -Juho-Mikko