CRAY bitfield support in protocol headers: does anyone care?

Josh Triplett josh at freedesktop.org
Tue Feb 27 12:30:18 PST 2007

Some of the X protocol headers have support for the cray architecture, which
does not support data sizes smaller than 64 bits, and thus has to use
bitfields in structures to have the right data sizes over the wire.

XCB's generated protocol headers do not include this support, and nobody has
complained or asked for it.  We want to know if we could reasonably start
using our data structures more widely, such as in the server, without needing
to add this support.

So: does anyone care if we stop supporting machines that can't declare
1-byte, 2-byte, and 4-byte structure fields?

- Josh Triplett