bugs.freedesktop.org

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Fri Feb 23 13:48:43 PST 2007

On Friday 23 February 2007, Alan wrote:
>On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 13:53:31 -0600
>
>Otto Solares <solca at guug.org> wrote:
>> On Fri, Feb 23, 2007 at 02:44:46PM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> > Yahoo.com and AOL/TW attorneys please note, additions to the above
>> > message by Gene Heskett are:
>> > Copyright 2007 by Maurice Eugene Heskett, all rights reserved.
>>
>> And about your copyright?
>
>His copyright is stating the law as it stands. Copyright need not be
>claimed to be valid and this is true in almost all of the world, the US
>included.
>
>Freedesktop.org needs permission to archive messages or exemption under
>various legal covers for fair use, estoppel and the like. It may also
>need to comply with state privacy regulations.
>
>Alan
>(c) Copyright me , but thats true whether it says so or not.

Let me state for the record, I have absolutely no problems with my
messages being archived.  Anyplace including hard copy on tp if that's
the format chosen.

OTOH, I had the (dis)pleasure of watching an idea of mine be used for
commercial gain without my permission.  This was decades ago, long before
the copyright was made implicit.  So I feel like I'm just being sure
everyone at AOL/TW/Yahoo understands that.  They are the ones trying to
make hay by claiming to own the copyright for every message that passes
through their system.  I believe we all should be wise to add that
disclaimer to our messages.  But I don't preach it, I figure the reasons
for doing it are clear enough once you've read their T.O.S.'s.

I have whitelisted annarchy.freedesktop.org. along with several others
that vz has suddenly started filtering (btw, their excuse is that the
reverse dns lookup returned bogus into), but I believe I'm going to have
to resub to lkml using my gmail address.

Has this worked well for lkml'ers, or have either of you been noteing such
things?

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)