[Xcb] xcb and protocol versions

Barton C Massey bart at cs.pdx.edu
Thu Feb 22 23:47:21 PST 2007

In message <45DE3075.1070506 at brandeis.edu> you wrote:
> An example of my concern is:
>
> We have an extension Ext at version 1.0 and we have a request named func
> that sends a CARD16 down the wire.
> XCB would generate the following functions;
>
> xcb_ext_func(..., CARD16)
>
> Now if we have version 1.1 and let's say we still have request func but
> it adds a CARD8 or something then we would have the function:
>
> xcb_ext_func(..., CARD16, CARD8)
>
> Will we ever run into a case like this or are people prohibited from
> doing things like this?

We've talked about this before, and decided that if someone
changes the signature of a function in an extension rev,
they darn well need to also change the name.  There's
several good reasons to do it, and no good reason not to.
If they don't, our XCB bits will choose a good new name for
them anyhow. :-)

	Bart