xcb and protocol versions

Jeremy A. Kolb jkolb at brandeis.edu
Thu Feb 22 11:04:38 PST 2007

Hi,

Wondering if anyone has any insight on this problem.

I'm trying to think of ways to handle protocol revisions in xcb.  Are
there guidelines about what is allowed/not allowed for protocol revisions?
Most of the extension revisions I've seen add events or new
requests/replies, these are all very easy to deal with.  The one big
question (has the most implications on the client-side library) is:

Are requests/replies ever extended (more bits over the wire) in newer
revisions?

I am unsure how to handle the case where the client uses a
request from an older version of the extension that has now changed its
signature in a later version of xcb.

Thanks,
Jeremy