X server 1.3 release status, plea for driver developer comments

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Wed Feb 21 18:28:50 PST 2007

On Wed, 2007-02-21 at 20:53 -0500, David Nusinow wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 20, 2007 at 11:47:53PM -0800, Keith Packard wrote:
> > The new mode setting API is all pushed over to the X server and pulled
> > out of the Intel driver. For now, building the Intel driver is a bit of
> > a pain as it requires current X server sources, even if you are building
> > against an older server. When we release tarballs for the driver, the
> > needed sources will be automatically included so this won't be a problem
> > there.
>
> Ick. What's stopping putting the shared code in to a shared library and
> using it that way?

The shared library would still need access to some internal
(unpublished) X server headers, so this wouldn't help all that much.
Plus, I don't want it to be a shared library going forward, so I didn't
want to leave that sitting on your disk when you upgraded.

The 'correct' solution is to just have the driver require a newer
version of the X server, but we (Intel) have a commitment to making it
possible to take the new driver and run it on an older platform with
minimal changes. I don't recommend other drivers do the same nasty
trick, I just wanted to make people understand how the Intel driver
currently builds.

keith.packard at intel.com