Intel i915GM (xf86-video-intel modesetting) Tearing during playback with XV

Andrew J. Barr andrew.james.barr at gmail.com
Wed Feb 21 14:03:35 PST 2007

On Wed, 2007-02-21 at 22:20 +0100, Lukas Hejtmanek wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 21, 2007 at 01:11:17PM -0800, Tristan Willy wrote:
> >  If textured video is the only option with xv and the G965, then how
> > can I get tearless video? Is there anything I can do to help fix this,
> > should this be a software limitation?
>
> I am afraid that you have to wait until Keith or Eric fixes this issue as
> Intel did not release the documentation. I do not know whether video overlay
> for G965 is not supported due to HW limitation of G965 or by temporarily
> non-working overlay code.

Keith Packard has said on this list previously that the G965 hardware
does not support video overlay. This is not a "limitation" as the G965
HW is capable of performing the same function using textured video and
the traditional video overlay method has a number of downsides,
including taking up quite a lot of transistors on the hardware.

On 9xx chips before the 965, however, I believe both methods are
possible.

Andrew