Intel GMA graphics - any good for hi-def? 1920 x 1080 @ 50/60hz

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at rasterman.com
Wed Feb 21 04:13:07 PST 2007

On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 06:31:33 +0000 Stroller <linux.luser at myrealbox.com> babbled:

> Hi there,
>
> I'm about to start putting together a MythTV system which I'd like to
> be capable of playing back hi-def (1080i/p) video, and I'd prefer to
> use an Intel graphics card (but I'll settle for Intel on-board
> graphics hardware;) because of the open nature of their drivers.
>
> Unfortunately, nVidia graphics cards are very popular on the MythTV
> mailing list, and I haven't encountered any users there who are
> happily using Intel graphics. I think I've read posts by people who
> had trouble using older Intel graphics chipsets, but not many who've
> tried and not the latest generation of Intel graphics chips, so I'm
> not really able to get the best feedback from that list.
>
> I don't mind splashing out for a decent Core2Duo processor but as I
> read it, with all the other possible demands upon a system, even
> these can struggle with HD playback if hardware acceleration is not
> enabled. The common MythTV solution is to use a nVidia card & their
> binary drivers with XvMC enabled.

no need. my 1.83ghz core 2 duo can do it only using 25-40% cpu using gl
fragment shaders to do yuv->rgb at 1920x1080 full hd. my single p4-3.4 can
manage it too 60-90%cpu (same video pipeline). that is my "media' box at home -
i do play. the card i use is a nv 6600gt (the lower end one on the p4 - the
core2 duo is a laptop with a nv 7900gtx).