dual monitor config problem

Paul Kaplan pkaplan1 at comcast.net
Mon Feb 19 17:51:01 PST 2007

I'm running X 7.1 on kubuntu edgy on a Thinkpad/Intel i915 using the i810
drivr with mergedfb to enable a dual monitor setup.  There's a 1024x768 LCD
on the Thinkpad and a 1280x1024 external LCD.  I have two ServerLayout
sections so that I can use a single virtual desktop when the external LCD is
attached but not when it isn't.

Right now the default is to use the dual monitor setup.  As a result, if the
external monitor isn't present the virtual desktop still exists, but is
displayed in empty space.  I have to do a console login and manually startx
calling to the single monitor SeverLayout stanza.  On a previous box, I was
using Xinerama and it did auto detection, calling the correct stanza for the
hardware setup.  Even using xrandr would be more convenient than consoling.

How do I rectify?  Is it possible with mergedfb on xorg 7.1  What about 7.2?
Is there a better driver than the one kubuntu is providing?
Paul