Window size and screen resolution

Barry Scott barry.scott at onelan.co.uk
Mon Feb 19 04:06:14 PST 2007

Dominique Michel wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> My first post on this list.
> I asked on the gentoo forum, but don't get any answer.
>
> My screen resolution is 1600x1200. Most programs are working just fine with
> it, but some program just look too small. Examples: ddd, xmms, nedit. Both
> the windows of those programs inclusive the menu and the icons, and the
> fonts are to small.
>
> xmms have on option to show it at double size, but not the other programs.
> Is it possible to trick such programs and start them at double size or
> something like that?

What you want are resolution independent applications. So that you can set a
preference for the resolution that will automatically scale the icons
and fonts.
X or any Unix Toolkit does not have this as far as I know.

Apple has such an API and they want ISVs to use it for the 10.5 Leopard
release.
They added this API so that they can use higher DPI LCD panels. A while ago
they had a laptop with a 200dpi display, but as you noticed, every thing
is too small
so they dropped the product. Once Leopard is out they will probable
release higher
DPI displays again.

Barry