Color banding in 24-bit mode

Alan alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Wed Feb 14 03:01:12 PST 2007

> (==) NVIDIA(0): DPI set to (75, 75); computed from built-in default
> (--) Depth 24 pixmap format is 32 bpp
>
> Wikipedia says I shouldn't be seeing banding in 24-bit mode:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_banding

Then Wikipedia would be wrong... again.

> What can I do to improve the actual color resolution?  I've tried
> 32-bit mode but it doesn't seem to be supported.

32bit modes are normally 24bit with padding or an alpha channel not RGB
in 12/12/10 or similar.

You need to work out where in the pipeline your limit is, or if you just
have good sensitivity to colour differences. 8bits of red off the card
memory doesn't neccessarily end up as 8bits of red the other end on a
cheap display or if the card uses cheap digital->analogue convertors when
going via an analogue display link.