Clone mode on i915

Eric Anholt eric at anholt.net
Tue Feb 13 11:16:13 PST 2007

On Fri, 2007-02-09 at 15:52 +0200, Vladimir Davydov wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I'm using the  Dell Inspiron 2200 laptop with embedded i915 graphics
> controller.
>
> The native resolution for builtin LFP is 1024x768.
> I wont to connect external monitor Samsung SyncMaster  740N to the VGA port.
> And I wont to work in the clone mode:
> LFP: 1024x768
> Samsung: 1280x1024
>
> This configuration is working fine under the Windows XP with Intel graphics
> drivers.
>
> Is it possible by using x.org?
>
> I tried to use many examples of xorg.conf files for this mode which I found in
> the Internet by google.
>
> Best result that I have: both monitors (LFP and external Samsung) work in the
> 1024x768 mode.
>

> Software configuration:
> Linux distribution is OpenSUSE 10.2.
> X.org version is xorg-7.2 (Latest suse build).
> Linux kernel is 2.6.18.2.
>
> I have attached my xorg.conf file and X server log file.

With the current releases, this isn't as easy as it should be.  With
randrproto, libXrandr, and xrandr from master, xserver from
server-1.2-branch, and xf86-video-intel from modesetting, it should be
not just easy, but automatically configured that way if you have those
outputs connected at X startup.  It would also be configurable
post-startup using xrandr.

We're working on getting a release of all of these components ready in
the next couple of weeks.

--
Eric Anholt                             anholt at FreeBSD.org
eric at anholt.net                         eric.anholt at intel.com