input transformations

Deron Johnson Deron.Johnson at Sun.COM
Mon Feb 5 15:22:00 PST 2007

Xavier Bestel wrote:

>Le lundi 05 février 2007 à 16:10 -0500, David Reveman a écrit :
>

>>On Mon, 2007-02-05 at 11:11 -0800, Deron Johnson wrote:
>>

>>>It's hard for me to evaluate this without some higher level context.
>>>What sort of window transformations are you aiming to support
>>>3D perspective affine transformations? What sort of 3D objects will the
>>>windows be mapped onto? There are a variety of possibilities:
>>>a quad of infinite thinness, a flat slab (rectangular parallelipiped) or
>>>any arbitrarily shaped 3D object. And, do you want to permit interaction
>>>with transformed windows or use transformation only for transitional
>>>effects?
>>>

>>I'd like us to be able to support an arbitrarily shaped 3D object even
>>though I don't have any good use cases for that yet. The most important
>>use cases right now are scaling, translating and duplicating windows but
>>we'll definitely use this for more complex transformations soon.
>>

>Then take into account "non-contiguous windows" (imagine a compiz/beryl
>plugin which "explodes" a window into many pieces).
>
>	Xav

If you want complete generality and full access to 3D effects then I
would recommend
that you route the X events through an external picker which has the
scene graph
in its address space (like LG does). But if you really want to have the
scene graph inside
the X server I would recommend keeping it very simple and to just
provide a single
contiguous tri-mesh for a window. This would cover 99% of the forseeable
use cases
and you could always extend it later on.