XKB Geometry documentation

Tim Ri tim-ri at wanadoo.fr
Mon Feb 5 10:16:15 PST 2007

On Sunday 04 February 2007 13:58, Daniel Stone wrote:

> As with most things XKB, I guess that the most accurate specification
> is, as you've already discovered, the union of all files currently in
> use, and/or the xkbcomp source code

Hi Daniel, thanks for responding.

* X does not use geometry files (xkbcomp knows just enough to
compile them).
* Without specs the geometry interpretation is entirely up to the 3d-party
programs using them.
* Hunting those programs down is a chore (writing on-screen keyboards was
quite the fad some time ago).

> xkbcomp badly needs a rewrite,
Well, since my attention was mainly on geometry.c it is difficult to judge,
but what I saw was pretty clean in my opinion.

> if you're that keen ...
Take a wild guess :)
Kidding aside: Since I have no experience in writing pure C code (I prefer
C++), I doubt I would be the person for the job.
Anyway, I think writing a better spec (read: an up-to-date one) is at the
moment quite a bit more important, so that's where I will start.

Regards,

Tim