ANSI-fied libX11

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Sun Feb 4 12:23:44 PST 2007

On Sun, 2007-02-04 at 14:57 +0200, Daniel Stone wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 03, 2007 at 09:48:23AM +0000, Magnus Kessler wrote:
> > a few months ago when xcb support was enabled and the locking bugs were
> > still there I started a private project to add "sparse" annotations to
> > libX11. Unfortunately I didn't get very far with this.
> >
> > The vital first step, however, was to convert libX11 from a mixture of K&R
> > and ANSI to ANSI C.
> >
> > Is there any interest in getting these changes into the master tree?
>
> Hi,
> This would be great; please send patches.  I believe you still have to
> be careful when converting the old 'wide' prototypes, though.  Keeping
> ABI is apparently difficult there.

Yes, prototype conversion is error-prone. I suggest that the best path
is to review the conversion patches (taking care to keep them as short
as possible) before committing them. If we could come up with review
criteria and publish them, we should be able to distribute the work of
generating and reviewing the patches among many people and still get
reliable results.

Note that while we have an Xlib test suite, I don't expect it to catch
errors introduced by prototype changes; we need to be careful in the
editing process and proactive about code review.

keith.packard at intel.com