xdm shows a password prompt instead of a login prompt

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at sun.com
Fri Feb 2 17:34:12 PST 2007

Stefan Dirsch wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 01, 2007 at 02:59:23PM -0800, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
>> Stefan Dirsch wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> Since xdm switched to separate login/password window prompts you get a
>>> password prompt after typing in a wrong password, although it should
>>> be a login prompt. This is pretty confusing IMHO. I'm using xdm 1.1.3.
>> Strange - when I type in a password that fails it resets back to prompting
>> for username.
>
> Just to make sure. It prompts for a password but treats the input
> correctly as a username (letters are echoed), so actually *only* the
> prompt is wrong.

I see the problem now - it was hidden when I tried on Solaris because of the
hack in the PAM conversation to check and see if pam_get_item(.., PAM_USER,...)
returns that a username has already been set.   Once that's set, the
conversation function sets the top line to "Login:   username" and puts the
remaining prompts on the second line, so that for a typical username/password
authentication, it looks the same as it always has, except that the password
prompt doesn't appear until after you enter your username.   I guess your PAM
stack doesn't set PAM_USER until later, so all the prompts appear on the top
line.   If I disable that hack, I see the bug, and putting in an explicit reset
of the username prompt at the top of the PAM loop fixes it.

I've putback that fix to the xdm git repository (along with a couple of others
that had been piling up in bugzilla) - if you could try it and let me know if
it fixes your problem, I'll cut a xdm-1.1.4 release next week.

	-Alan Coopersmith-           alan.coopersmith at sun.com
	February 2007 Selection: LSARC Chair of the Month Club