inject events into a named pipe

Tiago Vignatti vignatti at c3sl.ufpr.br
Thu Feb 1 13:38:38 PST 2007

Peter Hutterer escreveu:
> On 02/02/2007, at 04:27 , Tiago Vignatti wrote:
>
>> Hello every one,
>>
>> I've been trying to inject differents events direct to mouse device
>> node and my first attempt is to create a named pipe (fifo). So I did
>> the following:
>>
>> root at mt4:/dev/input# mkfifo fakemouse p
>> root at mt4:/dev/input# cat mouse0 > fakemouse
>
> Unfortunately a simple cat doesn't do it. You have to write a few bytes
> to the mouse device to init the right protocol etc. Only after that will
> the forwarding of the bytes work.
> Have a look at http://www.computer-engineering.org/ps2mouse/ to find out
> what to write to the device.
>
> Cheers,
>   Peter

Thanks for all answers, guys. It did help me a lot.

What I really want to do is to confine a pointer in a window. You can
imagine the scenario which we have a lot of pointers (for example, MPX)
and each pointer must be confined to one window or a bunch of windows
(the root window).

Does anyone have an idea how to do this?

> --
> Multi-Pointer X Server
> http://wearables.unisa.edu.au/mpx

my best regards

--
Tiago Vignatti
C3SL - Centro de Computação Científica e Software Livre