XKB and the Dutch

Gregory Smirnov gregory at 2x.com
Thu Feb 1 01:55:22 PST 2007

On Tuesday 30 January 2007 15:40, Rene Herman wrote:
> On 01/30/2007 02:29 PM, Tim Dijkstra wrote:
>
> [ XkbLayout "us" + XkbOptions "lv3:ralt_switch,eurosign:e" ]
>
> >> The warning, here, is:
> >>
> >> ===
> >>
> >> The XKEYBOARD keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports:
> >>  > Warning:    Type "ONE_LEVEL" has 1 levels, but <RALT> has 2 symbols
> >>  > Ignoring extra symbols
> >>
> >> Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server
> >
> > Yes, I also get that error. It works nonetheless.
>
> It does. That "ignoring extra symbols" error is not good though. Who do
> I need to talk to for XKB stuff?
>
> Given the Dutch situation, my preffered option would be to to simply add
> the EuroSign to AltGr-e/5 on the us layout. Haven't a clue if you guys
> are working off standards which would forbid something like that though.
>
> Any solution (that would involve "intl" nor deadkeys) is fine...
>
> Rene.

Rene,

Keyboard symbols in Xorg 7.1 was changed and now available from different
package.

You can add this to your 'us' symbols:

partial alphanumeric_keys
xkb_symbols "EuroSign" {

  name[Group1]= "U.S. English - Extended with Euro sign only";

  include "us"

  key <AE05> { [          5, percent,
EuroSign                        ] };
  key <AD03> { [          e, E,             EuroSign,
cent          ] };

  include "level3(ralt_switch)"
};

You cannot change basic US layout, because it has no AltGr in its logic :)
Many people in US use RAlt+key shortcuts like you are used to LAlt+key in
Europe. On other hand, why would not you upgrade to more recent version of
Xorg?

Kind regards,
--
Gregory Smirnov