new 'xvmc' branch of intel video driver

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Sun Dec 30 12:26:22 PST 2007

Zhenyu Wang <zhenyu.z.wang at intel.com> wrote:

> The aim of the new 'xvmc' branch is to deprecate origin
> 'xvmc-i915' branch with lot of cleanups and new framework
> inside driver to add supports for more hardware media decode
> drivers in future. It also has changes that affect users.
>
> The most noteable is that the origin libI915XvMC.so is replaced
> by a single libIntelXvMC.so entry to be used on different
> chipsets for different hardware decoders. Although currently
> there's only one decoder for MPEG MC on 915/945/G33 series.
> So you should change lib path in your XvMCConfig file.
>
> New driver option "XvMC" and config option can be used to disable
> XvMC feature in the driver. It turns on by default.

I would love to test xvmc on an intel chipset, but something is wrong.
I updated my source xorg tree using the git-xorg script (Now 1.9G in
total). It now has an xvmc folder in the xf86-video-intel/src/ folder.
I followed the instructions on the Xorg wiki and used the
/util/macros/build.sh script.

But the intel driver build fails in configure, with...:
checking whether gcc and cc understand -c and -o together... yes
checking for intel-gen4asm... no
./configure: line 20441: syntax error near unexpected token `XINERAMA,'
./configure: line 20441: `XORG_DRIVER_CHECK_EXT(XINERAMA, xineramaproto)'

The problem appears to be that XINERAMA is not defined.
BTW this is the master branch, but I took it that the xvmc changes had
been committed to the master branch. I did not try pulling the xvmc branch.
Can anyone help?

Geoff