[xorg] Intel 2.2.1 release planning

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Wed Dec 26 12:10:01 PST 2007

On 2007-12-13 11:27-0800 Jesse Barnes wrote:

> I'm trying to put together a 2.2.1 Intel driver release (was hoping for
> this week but that might not happen) given that we had at least a
> couple of major regressions in 2.2 relative to 2.1.1.  The blocker bug
> is 13493, and I'm interested in hearing if there are any other major
> regressions that should be on the list, so please reply to this message
> or to me personally and I'll see that they're added.
>
> The main problems so far seem to be the Xv crasher (13108) and the pipe
> enable bug (13196) I introduced while fixing a crash on 8xx chips for
> the 2.2 release.
>
> We already know about the EXA performance problems people have been
> seeing, but unfortunately those fixes won't be ready for this release.
> However, XAA is still available, so you can use "AccelMethod" "XAA" in
> your xorg.conf if needed.

Is there any additional news to report about this planned release, Jesse?

I was very happy that the previous X lockup I got for 2.2.0 (for my ASUS
P5K-V g33 chipset without ADD2 card) was solved by an earlier and also your
latest patch attached to bug 13196. On one occasion for your earlier patch I
did try switching to a console (with ctrl-ALT-F1 on KDE) which worked fine,
but then when switching back to X, there were some strange X errors (certain
KDE applications/windows froze) so I had to shutdown X (KDE logout) and
start over with startx.  I have been unable to reproduce the problem just
now with your latest patch, but even if the problem still existed I would
settle for the result since it is such an improvement over 2.2.0 where X was
completely inaccessible to me.

My own feeling is you should go ahead an release 2.2.1 so long as the vast
majority of your testers find it is an improvement over 2.2.0 (as in my
particular case) and it works on all the Intel chipsets personally available
to you.  Of course, you wont get widespread testing until you make the
release so I realize you are in something of a catch 22, but if there is
some screwup with certain chipsets for 2.2.1 there is always 2.2.2 to fix
it.  :-)

Alan
Alan W. Irwin

(lbproject.sf.net).