radeon dual head

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Mon Dec 24 08:36:41 PST 2007

On Dec 24, 2007 9:07 AM, Jethro Tull <heavytull at hotmail.com> wrote:

>  The following is a format corrected of the message i posted yesterday:
>
> >>.................start
>
> I'm trying to configure my Xserver to get working as th dual head mode on my
> laptop.
> it's a 1280x800 flat screen and the extra monitor is a 1440x900.
> the specific config lines are as follows:
> Section "Monitor"
>  Identifier "My Monitor"
>  HorizSync 30-48
> VertRefresh 60
> EndSection
>
> Section "Monitor"
> Identifier "Extra Mon"
> HorizSync 31.5-67.5
> VertRefresh 75
> EndSection
> Section"Screen"
> Identifier "Screen 1"
> Device "** ATI Radeon (generic) [radeon]"
>  Monitor "My Monitor"
> DefaultDepth 24
> Subsection "Display"
> Depth 24 Modes "1280x800" "800x600"
> ViewPort 0 0
> EndSubsection
> EndSection
> Section "Screen"
> Identifier "Screen 2"
> Device "** ATI Radeon (generic) [radeon]"
> Monitor "Extra Mon"
> DefaultDepth 24
> Subsection "Display"
> Depth 24
> Modes "1440x900"
>  ViewPort 0 0
>  EndSubsection
> EndSection
> Section "ServerLayout"
> Identifier "Simple Layout"
> Screen "Screen 1"
> Screen "Screen 2" LeftOf "Screen1"
> ...EndSection
>
> but it doesn't work as expected, the extra monitor display seems to be
> assigned a 600x800 resolution and shows a part of the desktop but can slip
> on the whole desktop when the pointer reaches an end of the screen. While
> the main screen of the laptop is assigned the correct resolution.
>
> the output of the Xorg.log is as follows:
> (==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log",
> Time: Sun Dec 23 13:18:44 2007
> (==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
> (==) ServerLayout "Simple Layout"(**) |-->Screen "Screen 1" (0)
> (**) | |-->Monitor "My Monitor"
> (**) | |-->Device "** ATI Radeon (generic) [radeon]"
> (**) |-->Screen "Screen 2" (1)
> (**) | |-->Monitor "Extra Mon"
> (**) | |-->Device "** ATI Radeon (generic) [radeon]"
> (EE) Screen Screen1 doesn't exist: deleting placement
>
> While when the xorg.conf file is configured for a single head everything is
> OK.
>
> >>....................end
>

> > Your mailer seems to have messed up your message.
> bloody hotmail
>
> >What version of the
> > driver are you using?
> how do you check this information?

Take a look at your xorg log (usually /var/log/Xorg.0.log).  you
should see a line like this:
(II) ATI: ATI driver wrapper (version 6.7.197) for chipsets: mach64,
rage128, radeon

> >The 6.7.19x series only supports multi-head via
> > xrandr. zaphod mode is not suppored. If you want to use zaphod mode,
> > you'll need either 6.6.3 or ati git master.

As I said zaphod (screen based multi-head) only works with git master.
 if you are using an older version take a look at xrandr:
http://www.intellinuxgraphics.com/dualhead.html

> > Alex
>

> by the way i would like to know if this is normal tthat drm is never loaded.
>
> when i load it manually it says:
>
> root at slack12:/home/slackkk# modprobe drm
> FATAL: Error inserting drm
> (/lib/modules/2.6.21.5-smp/kernel/drivers/char/drm/drm.ko): Cannot allocate
> memory
>

> but the X interface works well, Open GL screen savers are Ok, some are slow.
> google earth is not hard accelerated at all, it is awfully slow and runs th
> CPU at 100%

In that case I suspect the drm isn't loaded and you are probably using
SW rendering.  Take a look at your xorg log or the output of glxinfo
to be sure.

Alex