Geode LX DDC freeze in emulator when executing OUTW 0x20

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at gmail.com
Sun Dec 23 21:28:25 PST 2007

[sorry for a possible duplicate]

Bart Trojanowski wrote:

> We have no control over what the BIOS tries to execute but we can
> prevent the emulator from causing bad things to happen when the BIOS
> has bugs (or is expecting to be running only DOS).
>
> Under the belief that access to certain ports should not be permitted
> under any circumstances I propose this patch:
>
> http://www.jukie.net/~bart/patches/xorg-server/20071222/0001-X86EMU-blacklist-I-O-port-20-for-INT-10-emulation.patch

While the blacklist is certainly useful, I am afraid it just hides the second
bug: the BIOS chooses a different path under the emulator than without it (i.e.,
through vm86). Access to port 20 is likely to crash Windows XP, too, and this
simply cannot happen for marketing reasons.

Thus: could you please verify if the bug also exists with vm86-based int10 module?

--
Alexander E. Patrakov