More about x-packages

Ross Burton ross at burtonini.com
Thu Dec 20 06:52:54 PST 2007

On Thu, 2007-12-20 at 12:35 -0200, Paulo Cesar Pereira de Andrade wrote:
> > What's wrong with using make distcheck? To me it's one of the major
> > benefits of using autotools in the first place.
>
>   I have nothing agains't distcheck. But at the moment, it is also adding
> some generated files to the tarball, the X Server packages increases, after
> bz2'ed by around 2MB, but still this isn't the major issue, as I believe
> it could be fixed, if considered wrong, in "make distcheck" itself.

By "generated files" do you mean configure, Makefile.in, and so on?  If
so, that is by design: if you don't include those you require that the
person building the software has automake/autoconf/libtool installed.  A
tarball built with "make distcheck" can be installed with just sh and
make, that's the entire point of autotools. ;)

Ross
Ross Burton                                 mail: ross at burtonini.com
                                          jabber: ross at burtonini.com
                                     www: http://www.burtonini.com./