About some git repositories

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Thu Dec 20 05:22:11 PST 2007

On Wed, Dec 19, 2007 at 04:05:34PM -0600, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> How is this fixed in git history to show the correct person's name and
> email address? (It is in the ChangeLog.)

It isn't.  You don't rewrite history, full stop.

> And does git have some configuration to disallow an Author named "root"?

Yes, the hook could be pretty trivially fixed.

> I read that another popular open source project was compromised by an
> attacker who used a committer's compromised account.

This is nothing to do with a compromise.  It's just people who, for some
reason, do _everything_ as root.  Including coding and committing.  I
believe the evdev driver has some commits as root, too.

Cheers,
Daniel