Initial attempts at i965 text batching

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Wed Dec 19 09:54:36 PST 2007

On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 11:41:04 -0500, "=?UTF-8?Q?Kristian_H=C3=B8gsberg?=" wrote:
> Which reminds me, I did a couple of DRM patches to use MI_SET_CONTEXT
> that I promised to send out.  I've not benchmarked them, and there is
> still work to do to finish them (they leak memory) but if there's a
> lot of overhead in emitting the invariant state, these patches might
> help.

Thanks for the starting point.

And thanks, Michel, for pointing out how I can fix opreport.

Even without opreport though, it's obvious that there's still tons of
stuff being emitted in every prepare_composite uselessly. One piece is
the "invariant" state Kristian mentions. This is followed by a "long
sequence" of commands most of which are the same for all composite
operations.

So it should be a fairly simple matter to simply emit those at the
beginning of each batch rather than with every composite operation
within the batch. (In fact, Keith and I have even done that work once
or twice before on earlier branches.)

That will still leave some per-batch overhead of course, but we should
be able to amortize most of that with increasing the number of
operations in each batch.

And then as an optimization, as Kristian mentions, we should be able
to eliminate these from all but the first batch by taking advantage of
MI_SET_CONTEXT.

So the plan seems quite clear here. I'll keep the list posted on
progress.

-Carl