display video from an other PC / Replace background of an application

Franck Juers fjuers at sii.fr
Wed Dec 19 02:00:39 PST 2007

Hello,

I have to replace the background (made of one single color) of an
application (which I cannot modify) by the video from an other PC.
I can acquire the video from the other PC with a frame grabber card (UFG-03
from Unigraf),
but I'm not able to change the background of the application by hardware
overlay because this card doesn't do it...

I'd like to know if there's a way to access the frame Buffer of X11 to
change the background of the application or to set the black color of this
application transparent...
The video from the other PC isn't static... so i have to make a loop like:
- grab a frame from the PC video
- replace the color background with the frame

maybe there is a way to do a kind of software overlay ??

An other idea I had is to launch the application I cannot modify somewhere i
won't see it, capture  the display of this application and merge it with the
frame from the PC, then I do the  final display in my application

or maybe i have to do it an other way but i have no more idea...

thanks for your help,

Franck