Output problems with 945GM

Jesse Barnes jbarnes at virtuousgeek.org
Mon Dec 17 15:08:19 PST 2007

On Friday, December 14, 2007 5:49 Matteo Brusa wrote:
> > Hm, I think using DVI is your best bet (it'll probably give you the
> > best picture quality) but your TV doesn't seem to provide a
> > 1360x768 resolution in its EDID data?  Or are you overriding it
> > somehow?
> >
> > Can you post your xorg.conf and Xorg.0.log files?
>
> I auto reconfigured X with the VGA cable plugged, see attached file.
> Interesting note, when connected via the DVI-HDMI cable, the monitor
> offers no EDID info whatsoever.

I have a Hanns-G monitor on my desk that does the same thing.  It may be
that the X DDC code isn't forgiving enough to some HDMI->DVI timings...

> I also attach the Xorg.0.log files
> for both VGA and TDMI-1.
> The VGA output clearly runs at 1360x768 without overscan, while the
> TDMI-1 runs at 1280x720 with overscan. Still i couldn't reach digital
> 1360x768.
> Is it true, that in order to accept my custom modelines, i have to
> specify 'Option "DDC" "off"' in the device section?
> Last but not least, is there an 'official' Modeline for 1920x1080p?

I'm not sure if disabling DDC is required to program custom mode lines
since I've never had to use them.  I guess in your case it shouldn't
make a difference since DDC is failing anyway.

As for a 1920x1080 modeline, I'm not sure.  A cvt -r generated mode line
will probably work though...

Jesse