intel driver for 945GM multihead question - Got It!

Dan Naughton daniel.naughton at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 12:03:45 PST 2007

It took a while, but it's working.  A few things that jump out in
various howtos and docs that screwed me up.  The position of the
second screen in the Server Layout and the Xinerama and Clone options.
 The position Option needs to go in the "Monitor" section.  And the
virtual display needs to be set at least to Width of Screen 1 + Width
of Screen 2 in the Screen/Display Subsection.

For a test, there's two full screen movies running, one on each
monitor.  I've gone through this exercise with XP.  While it was
easier to setup, this ones is ALOT smoother on playback (VLC was the
movie player in both cases).  Nice work on the 945GM driver.

Thanks All!

(I put up the xorg.conf file that worked for me

(II) intel(0): Output configuration:
(II) intel(0):   Pipe A is on
(II) intel(0):   Display plane A is now enabled and connected to pipe A.
(II) intel(0):   Pipe B is on
(II) intel(0):   Display plane B is now enabled and connected to pipe B.
(II) intel(0):   Output TMDS-1 is connected to pipe A
(II) intel(0):   Output TMDS-2 is connected to pipe B

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "Hand Built Configuration"
        Screen         "Screen1"
        Screen         "Screen2"  Right Of "Screen1"    <== position
part does nothing?
        #Option          "Xinerama" "on"  <=== also does nothing?
        #Option          "Clone" "off"  <== also does nothing?
        InputDevice    "KeyboardUSB" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection