Intel 945g not sure how to configure this

David Csercsics aarg at shaw.ca
Fri Dec 14 08:51:07 PST 2007

I have a bit of an odd setup here which broke with xorg 7.3. I have an
Intel 945g chip and Xorg -configure recommended that I use the intel
driver. However I get the following when I test the configuration
it creates:

X.Org X Server 1.4.0
Release Date: 5 September 2007
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.23-gentoo-r3 x86_64
Current Operating System: Linux really 2.6.23-gentoo-r3 #1 SMP PREEMPT Thu Dec 13 14:11:40 PST 2007 x86_64
Build Date: 13 December 2007  04:08:03PM

	Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
Module Loader present
	(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Fri Dec 14 06:59:13 2007
(++) Using config file: "/root/xorg.conf.new"
(WW) intel: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:0:2:1) found
(II) Module "ddc" already built-in
(II) Module "i2c" already built-in
(EE) intel(0): No valid modes.
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

Fatal server error:
no screens found

I know that part of the problem is that I don't have a monitor attached
to the box. In the past I could just put in a frequency and refresh rate
and such for a monitor that  it could use and it found the modes just
fine. All I am really needing X for is to run the gnome desktop for a few
things. Mostly typical desktop stuff but I usually do almost everything
from gnome-terminal because I like higher resolution text terminals so
lots of stuff fits on my console. I don't really care what it looks like
because I'm just using the screenreader. I just want a nicely performing
X so that gnome is happy. I could use vesa or something but I  am not
sure which driver and configuration is the best for performance in this
situation. I know that the problem is monitor-related because I can plug
one in and X nicely detects all the modes and things and it works. But
I don't have enough room on my desk for a monitor that's just going
to waste power and get in the way of my braille display so it would be
convenient if I could work something out. I don't know anything about
graphics hardware either. I only have a video card because the PC won't
boot if you don't have one. If somebody could help me configure this
correctly this would be good. I'm not even sure what to read at this
point. Thanks for reading this and if there is anything else you need
let me know. It should be fairly simple to sort out I just don't know
what I'm looking for and I didn't want to post a bunch of logs that
wouldn't be useful though I have them if you really want them.