Problems using 1920x1080 on a 965 with the Intel driver

Simon Farnsworth simon.farnsworth at onelan.co.uk
Fri Dec 14 02:07:11 PST 2007

Alan Hourihane wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-12-13 at 15:10 +0000, Simon Farnsworth wrote:
>> We're trying to drive a Samsung LE40M87BDX/XEU 1080p LCD TV with an
>> Intel 965Q and the xf86-video-intel driver, on Fedora 8.
>>
> It's probably the the driver is trying to drive your TV with that 173Mhz
> pixel clocked 1920x1080 at 60Hz mode instead of the 1920x180 at 59.9 with a
> 138.5MHz clock.
>
> I'm pretty sure most TV's will want the "Reduced blank" version.
>
> So if you force the Xserver to use that alternative mode, you should be
> o.k.
>
> Alan.

Allowing the driver to use DDC makes it work, so I suspect your "reduced
blank" hunch is right. How do I generate a modeline with "reduced blank"?

The reason we have to do this with a modeline is that we connect our
displays using VGA extenders and splitters that don't pass DDC to
connect multiple identical displays to one box.
--
Simon Farnsworth