Major stability issues with xf86-video-intel 2.2.0 when using Xv

Jesse Barnes jbarnes at virtuousgeek.org
Thu Dec 13 11:11:42 PST 2007

On Thursday, December 13, 2007 3:23 Drew Parsons wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-12-12 at 09:24 -0800, Jesse Barnes wrote:
> > I'm working on a 2.2.1 release now to address these types of
> > problems.  The only Xv related change I can think of was to avoid
> > crashes on some machines where if you used Xv and exited the server
> > you'd get a crash; I can't think of anything else that would cause
> > the problem you're seeing.  Is there a bug filed?
>
> Just commenting for the record, I've found that S3 suspend-to-ram is
> currently broken with intel 2.2.0, xserver 1.4.1, linux 2.6.23, mesa
> 7.0.2 on intel 82855 GME.  Upon resume, the system freezes blank.  It
> had reached successful operation recently with intel 2.1.0.  I
> switched on the new kernel SUSPEND option which is supposed to help
> S3 suspend in kernel drivers.

Are you saying that it broke when you switched to the kernel based
suspend?  Or only broke when you upgraded to 2.2?  There are still a
few open suspend/resume bugs, maybe you're hitting one of those?

> I think you've indicated this may be fixed in git, which I haven't
> had the chance to test yet, so I'm commenting just to mark the
> current status in the stable releases :)

I hope it's fixed, but it's very possible that it's not... Getting the
timing and register restore ordering right so that it works on both 8xx
and 9xx chips is turning out to be pretty tricky.

Jesse