Improving rotated ATI performance

Adr3nal D0S adr3nald0s at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 08:13:18 PST 2007

Wow, I would really like to thank Alex Deucher for his quick response
to my problems with using my external display with the ATI driver and
fixing the mouse cursor problem I was having when one of my displays
was rotated.  The responsiveness has been great and my configuration
is now functional.  As far as I can tell all of the actual bugs that
were affecting me have been corrected.

Thank you.

Does anyone have tips on improving the performance of my display when
it is rotated?  For example, page down in emacs or gvim takes 1-2
seconds with 100% CPU usage and you can watch screen paint happening.
It almost makes me nostalgic.  But...

 I realize this may be because ATI has not released the information on
or does not support accelerated rotation in 2D, but I thought I would
ask any way.

Thanks again and here is my xrandr settings and xorg.conf in case it
is pertinent.

    xrandr --output VGA-0 --auto --left-of LVDS --rotate left

    Section "ServerLayout"
    	Identifier     "Simple Layout"
    	Screen         "Screen[0]"
    	InputDevice    "Mouse1" "CorePointer"
    EndSection

    Section "Files"
    	RgbPath      "/usr/share/X11/rgb"
    	FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/local/"
    	FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/misc/"
    	FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/OTF/"
    	FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/TTF/"
    	FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/Type1/"
    	FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/CID/"
    	FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/Speedo/"
    	FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled"
    	FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/100dpi/:unscaled"
    	FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/75dpi/"
    	FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/100dpi/"
    	FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/cyrillic/"
    EndSection

    Section "Module"
    	Load  "dbe"  	# Double buffer extension
    	SubSection "extmod"
    		Option	    "omit xfree86-dga"   # don't initialise the DGA extension
    	EndSubSection
    	Load  "type1"
    	Load  "freetype"
        #Load        "speedo"
    	Load  "glx"
    EndSection

    Section "InputDevice"
    	Identifier  "Keyboard1"
    	Driver      "kbd"
    EndSection

    Section "InputDevice"
    	Identifier  "Mouse1"
    	Driver      "mouse"
    	Option	    "Protocol"     "IMPS/2"
    	Option	    "Device"	   "/dev/mouse"
    	Option	    "Buttons"	   "5"
    	Option	    "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    EndSection

    Section "Monitor"
    	Identifier  "Internal Panel"
    	Option	    "VendorName" "ATI Proprietary Driver"
    	Option	    "ModelName" "Generic Autodetecting Monitor"
    	Option	    "DPMS" "true"
    	Option	    "RightOf" "External VGA Monitor"
    EndSection

    Section "Monitor"
    	Identifier   "S-Video"
    	Option	     "Enable"	"FALSE"
    EndSection

    Section "Monitor"
    	Identifier   "DVI-O"
    	Option	     "Enable"	"FALSE"
    EndSection

    Section "Monitor"
    	Identifier   "External VGA Monitor"
    	Option	     "DPMS" "true"
    EndSection

    Section "Device"
    	Identifier  "X600"
    	Driver      "ati"
    	Option "Monitor-LVDS" "Internal Panel"
    	Option "Monitor-VGA-0" "External VGA Monitor"
    EndSection

    Section "Screen"
    	Identifier "Screen[0]"
    	Device     "X600"